A straightening iron works by breaking hydrogen bonds in the hair. While very effective, it can damage your hair in the long run. If you are looking for a safer and cheaper alternative to getting sleek, frizz-free locks, consider a hair straightening brush.
A hair straightening brush is often confused with a straightening iron. That’s because they are used for the same purpose: to tame unruly, disheveled hair and make it look poker straight.Some designs even possess the same clamp-like, double plates look. Basically, that’s where the similarity ends.
Hair straightening brushes come in several shapes:
1. Detangling massage hair straightening brush
These electric brushes that straighten hair are considered the new generation of hair straighteners, easier to use than a flat iron and heat up to 450F while emitting negative ions in order to straighten hair in 8 to 10 seconds. They have a triple action system: they detangle, straighten and increase natural hair shine. They seal the hair cuticle reducing frizziness and increasing hair manageability.
The best detangling hair straightening electric brushes:
|Dasky massage Detangling Hair Straightening Brush||450F||$||3.8|
|Infinity Pro by Conair Wet/Dry Hot Air Styler||400F||$$||4.8|
|Calista Tools Perfecter Fusion Straightening Styler as seen on TV||400F||$$$||3.9|
2. Hot air rotating round barrel hair straightening brushes
This type of brush drys the hair while straightening it. They are extremely effective on long or short hair, be it thin or thick, curly or not. Read our guide to choosing the best rotating hair brush for more insights on what you should look for and latest models released on the market.
Conair Infinity Pro Spin Brush is to date the absolute bestseller champion both in online and offline, and also the winner of the Beauty Star Award. Read or full review of this amazing styling tool that straightens hair here.
The number one new entry in the hot air rotating straightening brushes category is the innovation from Revlon – The Perfect Heat Tourmaline Ceramic Hot Spin Brush – with outstanding customer reviews mainly driven by the professional heat power of 900 watts generated by this tool.
The best hot air rotating round barrel straightening brushes:
|Revlon Perfect Heat Tourmaline Ceramic Hot Air Spin Brush||900 watts||$$||4.8|
|Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium Rotating Hair Brush||500 watts||$$$||3.9|
|Infinity Pro by Conair Hot Air Spin Styler||500 watts||$||3.8|
3. Two rectangular brushes facing each other
These are similar to the metal or ceramic plates found in flat irons. The only caveat to using this model of straightening brush is that you need to use it with a blow dryer or other heating tool. That’s because the classic hair-straightening brushes do not emit heat on their own like flat irons. Instead, they come with heat-retaining materials for trapping heat coming from a blow dryer.
The best ceramic plates hair straightening brushes:
|Scalpmaster Ceramic Thermic Straightener||Nylon||$$||4.1|
|Denman Thermoceramic Straightening Brush||Boar||$||3.8|
|Ultimate Straightening Brush||Nylon||$||3.6|
4. Motorized rotating barrel hair straightening iron brushes
The best motorized rotating barrel straightening iron brushes:
|Infinity Pro Tourmaline Ceramic-Coated Plates with Rotating Spin Attachment||400F||$||3.8|
|InStyler Wet to Dry Rotating Iron||410F||$$||3.6|
|InStyler Max 2-Way Rotating Iron Black||425F||$$$||3.6|
What to look for in a hair straightening brush?
If you have frizzy, unruly hair, a hair straightening brush may help you tame it and make it more manageable. Hair straightening brushes helps you achieve silky, smooth hair just like a standard hair straightener or flat iron but without the damage. They’re growing in popularity because people find them effective and convenient to use. They are also small enough to fit into purse so you can bring it with you anywhere you go. There are plenty of hair straightening brushes available on the market. Some of the more popular brands are Conair, Vega, Avon, DenMan, Chi, Scalpmaster, and Babyliss.
Not all brushes are alike, but finding the best hair straightening brush is not difficult. Here are some things to look for when shopping for a brush that straightens hair:
1. Nylon bristles. Choose hair straightening brushes with nylon and boar bristles, as they keep hair smooth and soft without hurting your scalp and without causing hair breakage.
2. Cushioned handle. You should be able to use the brush comfortably. You should be able to clamp the barrels together without exerting extra effort. You should be able to move the device through your hair with ease.
3. Tourmaline technology. Hair straightening brushes with tourmaline plates heat up faster. They also produce more negative ions, which neutralizes the effects of positive ions such as frizz, flyaway. As a result, you have a sleek, poker-straight, shiny, and frizz-free hair.
4. Ceramic technology. Like tourmaline, ceramic plates help make hair shinier and smoother by releasing negative ions. It also speeds up hair straightening process when paired with a hairdryer.
5. Ball-tipped bristles. These prevent tangles and snagging when drying your hair.
6. Consider the brush shape. If you have short to medium-length hair, flat brush would work better for you. If you have long hair, consider getting a roller brush.
Finally, don’t forget to read or full product reviews here and here. The experience other people have had with a particular hair straightening brush can give you an idea of how the product performs in real-life situations.