A straightening iron works by breaking hydrogen bonds in the hair. While very effective, it can damage your hair in the long run. If you are looking for a safer and cheaper alternative to getting sleek, frizz-free locks, consider a hair straightening brush. These electric brushes that straighten hair are considered the new generation of hair straighteners, easier to use than a flat iron and heat up to 450F while emitting negative ions in order to straighten hair in 8 to 10 seconds.
Best hair straightening brushes and their reviews
Since the first launch of the brush straightener on the market, in the last quarter of 2015, some major design improvements were developed. Here are few things to watch out for, when you’re looking to buy a hair brush straightener:
- Ceramic coating vs iron vs plastic – this is a no brainer, since you want to have maximum hair protection when applying heat: always opt for Ceramic!
- Seamless nibs vs apparent ones – with older models sometimes nibs can come off with wear and tear
- Fast heating time
- No pulling on hair
Launched after 3 years of lab research and engineering, Dafni brush was making hairstyling history in September 2015, launching at the steep price of $300. The short video demonstrating its hair straightening capabilities went viral on Facebook, with over 77 million views. Since then, Dafni went a long way, cutting the price by more than 60% and developing a custom US version, available here. Check out the original movie: Dafni and The New Generation of Hair Straighteners.BUY DAFNI
Apalus was the first affordable rendition of a hair straightening brush that we had a chance to review; you may see how it works here. It was improved over time for superior performance, and it still very popular, with over 2,500 reviews to date and a score of 3.7 out of 5 on Amazon. It comes in custom 2 versions, for US and UK markets, respectively:
Asavea is already the second generation of brush straighteners, where significant design improvements were made for better performance and safer use on hair. You may read a full coverage on Asavea here. Asavea comes at a very decent price, but what’s more impressive about it is the performance, with almost 75% of the buyers giving it maximum score of 5 stars. The main features that make Asavea a quality purchase are: the integral design of the ceramic teeth, with no risk of falling nibs, and the 6 preset temperature settings that go up to 200C fit for a professional styling tool, all the while eliminating the risk of hair burn. BUY Asavea
FemJolie has also an impressive product record, with 67% of the users giving it 5 out of 5 stars for performance. FemJolie comes in 3 stylish color options: white, purple and black. It features digital temperature display, professional swivel cord for easy use, and is also fit for traveling outside US, with a simple power adaptor. BUY FemJolie
Hot air rotating round barrel hair straightening brushes
This type of brush dries the hair while straightening it. They are extremely effective on long or short hair, be it thin or thick, curly or not. Read our guide to choosing the best rotating hair brush for more insights on what you should look for and latest models released on the market.
Conair Infinity Pro Spin Brush is to date the absolute bestseller champion both in online and offline, and also the winner of the Beauty Star Award. Read or full review of this amazing styling tool that straightens hair here.
The number one new entry in the hot air rotating straightening brushes category is the innovation from Revlon – The Perfect Heat Tourmaline Ceramic Hot Spin Brush – with outstanding customer reviews mainly driven by the professional heat power of 900 watts generated by this tool.
The best hot air rotating round barrel straightening brushes:
|Revlon Perfect Heat Tourmaline Ceramic Hot Air Spin Brush||900 watts||$$||4.8|
|Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium Rotating Hair Brush||500 watts||$$$||3.9|
|Infinity Pro by Conair Hot Air Spin Styler||500 watts||$||3.8|
4. Two rectangular brushes facing each other
These are similar to the metal or ceramic plates found in flat irons. The only caveat to using this model of straightening brush is that you need to use it with a blow dryer or other heating tool. That’s because the classic hair-straightening brushes do not emit heat on their own like flat irons. Instead, they come with heat-retaining materials for trapping heat coming from a blow dryer.
The best ceramic plates hair straightening brushes:
|Scalpmaster Ceramic Thermic Straightener||Nylon||$$||4.1|
|Denman Thermoceramic Straightening Brush||Boar||$||3.8|
|Ultimate Straightening Brush||Nylon||$||3.6|
5. Motorized rotating barrel hair straightening iron brushes
The best motorized rotating barrel straightening iron brushes:
|Infinity Pro Tourmaline Ceramic-Coated Plates with Rotating Spin Attachment||400F||$||3.8|
|InStyler Wet to Dry Rotating Iron||410F||$$||3.6|
|InStyler Max 2-Way Rotating Iron Black||425F||$$$||3.6|
What to look for in a hair straightening brush?
If you have frizzy, unruly hair, a hair straightening brush may help you tame it and make it more manageable. Hair straightening brushes helps you achieve silky, smooth hair just like a standard hair straightener or flat iron but without the damage. They’re growing in popularity because people find them effective and convenient to use. They are also small enough to fit into purse so you can bring it with you anywhere you go. There are plenty of hair straightening brushes available on the market. Some of the more popular brands are Conair, Vega, Avon, DenMan, Chi, Scalpmaster, and Babyliss.
Not all brushes are alike, but finding the best hair straightening brush is not difficult. Here are some things to look for when shopping for a brush that straightens hair:
1. Nylon bristles. Choose hair straightening brushes with nylon and boar bristles, as they keep hair smooth and soft without hurting your scalp and without causing hair breakage.
2. Cushioned handle. You should be able to use the brush comfortably. You should be able to clamp the barrels together without exerting extra effort. You should be able to move the device through your hair with ease.
3. Tourmaline technology. Hair straightening brushes with tourmaline plates heat up faster. They also produce more negative ions, which neutralizes the effects of positive ions such as frizz, flyaway. As a result, you have a sleek, poker-straight, shiny, and frizz-free hair.
4. Ceramic technology. Like tourmaline, ceramic plates help make hair shinier and smoother by releasing negative ions. It also speeds up hair straightening process when paired with a hairdryer.
5. Ball-tipped bristles. These prevent tangles and snagging when drying your hair.
6. Consider the brush shape. If you have short to medium-length hair, flat brush would work better for you. If you have long hair, consider getting a roller brush.
Finally, don’t forget to read or full product reviews here and here. The experience other people have had with a particular hair straightening brush can give you an idea of how the product performs in real-life situations.